It’s a thing. It’s not necessarily a new thing, but it’s certainly becoming a more popular thing in North America. Coffee and bicycles also happen to be the converging point of the serious roadie and the hipster. Both really like bikes and coffee, albeit different choices in both bikes and coffee.
Combining both into one establishment started on the west coast, where all things bikes and hipster seem to come, in this particular case it was Portland, Oregon. But the trend has shifted eastward. We don’t want to brag but we were the first bike shop in Ottawa to incorporate the full café experience. We owe that to the trendsetting minds of the Little Victories guys, who pitched the concept to us.
But because we’re Ottawa and often overshadowed by Toronto when it comes to cultural phenomenons, a little shop called Fix Coffee and Bikes got all the media attention in 2017 when they opened Toronto’s first coffee and bikes café. One part bike shop, one part coffee shop, one part gallery.. Sound familiar?
Okay. Okay. We’re starting to sound a little bitter. We’re not. But we do really love the concept of the café and bike shop. LVC has since moved out of Cyclelogik but the coffee and bikes legacy lives on with Mainstay; and they’re still pouring your favourite LVC coffee!
If you haven’t been to Cyclelogik in awhile, you might not be familiar with our new setup. And if that’s the case, you’re definitely missing out!
The Coffee and Bikes Experience at Cyclelogik
Here’s a list of some things that you might experience when at Cyclelogik:
- A perfectly poured Americano; just the right amount of caffeine to kickstart your Saturday morning ride.
- Winnie the shop dog. She likes head rubs and playing tug of war.
- A comfy couch to relax and check your ride stats or catch up with riding buddies.
- Roy, the shop mechanic, who has opinion about everything from cannabis stocks to government conspiracies.
- Danielle, the shop matriarch, will either sell you a bike, give you some sound life wisdom, invite for you a beer at the Elmdale, or all three.
- Some of the best bikes from Felt, Scott, and Wilier. There’s a bike in the shop to match whatever type of riding you need
- An abundance of nutrition and hydration options to get you through a long ride
- A mix of local hipsters, cyclists, people on their way to work, triathletes, and all manner of interesting people
- Leah, the most chill person you’ll ever meet. She’s your coffee supplier and proprietor of Mainstay.
So if you haven’t been to the shop in awhile, maybe it’s time to pop by and see what we’re all about. It’s the people and community that make Cyclelogik great, and we’d love for you to be part of our little community of rad cyclists and coffee lovers.
Cyclelogik and the Community
Community is one of the most important things to us. And we’re proud to be part of such a robust and thriving neighbourhood like Hintonburg. We feel it’s important to support not only the local athletic community but also the neighbourhood where we’re located. Here’s a short sampling of some of the ways we engage the community: