One of the most common questions that always floats around the bike experts’ ear by the new bike riders is- If you could choose just one bike, what would it be? And most of the experts’ answers often tend to be – gravel bikes.
Though this bike is a bit pricey than other bikes, the experts think it will be best for a rider to go for the gravel bikes for the money. Because a gravel bike lets you ride in versatility such as you can ride it as a mountain bike or a road bike or even a hybrid bike. However, this article will answer the question – Can you use a gravel bike as a road bike? So, read on!
Are you thinking about buying a new bike and considering purchasing a gravel bike?
But hesitating since you hear this question a lot – Can you use a gravel bike as a road bike? Well, it definitely can be done. However, you may face some limitations when you use a gravel bike as a road bike.
But these limitations are small and can be essential or not essential at all based on how you will ride the gravel bike. For instance, if you often take part in road bike racing, then there are chances that gravel bikes will not work similarly to your primary bike. Because gravel bikes with single chaining, you will not be able to pedal fast enough and may spin out.
On the other hand, a gravel bike will work just fine as a road bike if you are riding with your friends for fun or mostly riding by yourself to go from a place to another such as home to bank or shops or school, etc. Suppose you are looking for something that will be more comfortable to ride than a traditional road bike. In that case, a gravel bike will be the best choice because it offers you the benefit of using wider tires at lower pressure and offers better stopping and turning power while you are on the ride.
But this question may hit you- Are not those wide tires will be massive and slow the journey? Well, it will vary based on what brands and types of tire you are using. Some brands of tire are designed to go very, very fast on the road. However, the best part of these bikes is that you will be bound to ignore the speed when you see the difference in comfort and control while riding a gravel bike.
These bikes also offer you the option of setting multiple wheels even if you can use two different wheel sizes with just one cycle. Though the road bike wins when compared to the weight of the road bike to a gravel bike, it is less heavy.
But gravel bikes are built to be sturdier, which makes them a bit heavier than a road bike. But this thing should not be a big deal because you are getting other benefits. Moreover, this bike’s sturdy design lets you carry heavy and light backpacks, luggage, etc., while riding. What more can anyone ask from a bike?
If you prefer to hear straight forward or short answers, then gravel bikes are suitable for fast performance, durability, tough enough to ride on all types of roads, etc. For a lengthy answer, below we have mentioned some reasons that will make you convince to add a gravel bike to your next purchase-
1. Gravel bikes are versatile, which means you can ride them comfortably on all types of roads or any surfaces. When you start riding one, you may be amazed to see the capability of a gravel bike. You can go anywhere with these bikes since they are designed to handle the standard road to rough roads.
2. You can run a gravel bike on almost every tire since it offers an endless tire option to be used in this bike without facing any big trouble. Though doing this will require two different wheelsets, it will be cheaper if you compare it to buying another bike for another reason.
3. Gearing option is also endless or rarely limited on a gravel bike. Gearing is something that depends on personal preference. For example, a gear that may work for you perfectly as a rider may not work for your rider friend. And in this case, a gravel bike can solve many issues since it offers plenty of gearing choices.
4. You can vary the ride position with a gravel bike. With this bike, you will feel a hybrid bike, the capability of a mountain bike, and the pace of a road bike. You can ride these bikes for long-distance riding or can use them for off-road touring as well as you can ride them as a road bike with your friends for fun.
5. These bikes are fun to ride since they come with daring looks and equip with new technology than traditional bikes. You can either ride faster or slowly with a gravel bike that makes this bike increasingly popular.Gravel
What a gravel bike can offer no other bike can offer that benefits to you. With a gravel bike, you have almost all the benefits of a road bike, a mountain bike, and even a hybrid bike. So, why spend money on two or three types of bikes if you get all the things in just one bicycle?
Though a gravel bike comes with a high price compared to other bikes’ prices, its numerous benefits make it worth buying. And hopefully, you have got the answer to your question- Can you use a gravel bike as a road bike? Now do not think much and go for a gravel bike to get all the benefits. Happy riding!